24 documented hours in the quarantine dorm

The requirement to stay in Chapin is a circumstance feared by many on campus. To ease curious minds, the following is a documentation of my time in a 24-hour symptom-induced quarantine

Thursday, September 9th 

1:00 p.m. I go to the testing center for my PCR test and report my symptoms. I have a slight temperature, eventually subsided by Ibuprofen. I feel achy and nauseous. 

2:30 p.m. I receive a call informing me that I am going to stay in Chapin for the night. I am beginning to burn up, I really should be laying down because I have a fever. I am given 30 minutes to get my stuff together for the night. I explain that I am not feeling well, however, am allowed an hour to pack. 

3:00 p.m. I find myself in a dilemma- when pondering the possibility of going into full quarantine, inconveniences such as isolation and space confinement come to mind. Somehow I overlooked the possibility of being physically sick. I knew what to pack for overnight; bedding, chargers, snacks, etc. Yet, feeling so sick I realize I also want to bring Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Pepto-Bismol, and extra blankets.

3:30 p.m. I have to transfer my stuff across campus. A roller cart is dropped off at my dorm to help transport my belongings. In a haze, I pack my stuff into the cart, struggling to maneuver it out of the doorway and then take the roll of shame across campus. Arriving at Chapin, I carry my stuff out of the cart and into my room- dizzy, sweaty, and delirious. I am told the general rules, given a key and a large case of water.

3:40 p.m. I haphazardly fall asleep on top of a plain mattress.

5:00 p.m. I am awakened with a call- I have yet to send in my dinner request. I send it in and my food arrives promptly. 

Friday, September 10th

9:30 a.m. Breakfast is here. From my desk I longingly watch students go about their day, developing a slight case of FOMO.

1:00 p.m. I start to question where my lunch is. The email says it should arrive around 12:30 so I figure it should be here any minute.

2:00 p.m. I get a call saying my lunch was somehow forgotten and is currently on its way. 

2:30 p.m. Public Safety comes to the rescue by bringing me lunch and asking if I need anything else delivered.  

6:00 p.m. Dinner arrives on time and I am feeling much better.

7:00 p.m. My negative test result arrives. I move out and return to campus life as if nothing ever happened.