News

Breaking News: Student exposed to mercury, washes chemical off in Meadows 4th floor West bathroom

Update 8:44 p.m. – Assistant News Editor Joanna Bouras wrote in a Facebook message:

“A girl from a science class got mercury on her person and was washing it off in the bathroom.”

Update 8:41 p.m. – Director of Public Safety Charles Furgal wrote in an email:

“A student who lives in Meadows was exposed to a small amount of mercury, it was washed off in the shower,  as a precaution the bathroom was temporarily closed down in order to give a professional cleaning company a chance to fully clean the bathroom. There was no chemical spill in the building, everyone will be able to sleep in the building, no one was hurt, and no property was damaged. The exposure took place in the woods behind the Haas athletic building.”

Update 7:03 p.m. – Meadows residents were sent the following email by Ed Burnett at 6:54 p.m. on April 10, 2013.

“Earlier this evening there was an accidental chemical spill in the bathroom of Meadows 4th floor West. The bathroom is the only potentially contaminated area.  Clean-up of the area is underway and will be completed tonight. Please stay away from this area and allow clean-up crews to do their work. Questions or concerns contact Public Safety at (508)286-8213.”

More to come. If you have any details, please email Monica Vendituoli at vendituoli_monica@wheatoncollege.edu

Categories: News